Sunday 8 January 2012

Rainy Sunday and Australian Road Championships

Well, it has rained pretty much all night in Point Lonsdale, so the scheduled session is going to be adapted. There was to be NM power intervals followed by the Hendry's group ride. Instead it is onto the trainer - oh joy! Some good things come out of this, though. Early breakfast with the family, a bit less whacked than if I had done the 80 km session and off to the pool with the kids for a recovery swim. I might also be more inclined to watch the Australina Mens Road Race without falling asleep on the couch! It ought to be a cracking race and I'm not convinced that the Greenedge boys will be able to dominate as some seem to think they will.

Completing the intervals and the remainder of the trainer session sends me the message that I need to use the recovery sessions more intelligently. I have profoundly deep fatigue, and can't get my heart rate up at all on the trainer. I have to ride one level of resistance easier than usual of the trainer to keep any reasonable cadence and motivation is pretty low, really.

Tomorrow is a day off or 15 km roll around on the single speed and the next day is an easy recovery day of 15 to 25 km of E1. In the past I have taken recovery pretty loosely and done quite a lot on some days (up to 65 km and picking up a quick group while riding the single speed on one occasion) - not very smart, I think, based on how I feel today. I think I will stay off the bike but go for a swim both tomorrow and do the very easy recovery and have a swim the day after. It will be interesting to see how I feel in three days. This week has three killer sessions and also substantial volume, so I think I will need the recovery to get the most out of the week's training. I will post the results of both the recovery strategy and also the training week outcomes later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment