Monday 19 December 2011

And so the lunacy started - Part 1

It all started with a bike ride - and look what's happened now. In four short weeks I've gone from a keen recreational cyclist who raced a bit this winter for the first time in 20 years or so, to a coached, directed, weight-losing single-minded narcissist heading to the Masters World Championships with designs on a result.

So let me explain how the addiction began.When we moved to Ballarat, about 5 years ago, for some reason I decided I needed to return to road riding. For 6 or 7 months I occasionally rode around the lake and quite enjoyed it. I was then introduced to a group of mature-aged, good-natured twits called "The Ballarat Yabbie Divers". Since then I have steadily progressed to riding more often, further and further (and further and further afield). The group organises some largish scale rides and I have taken part in more and more of these.

All in all this is a pretty familiar story for 40+-aged men who have gained some kilos but not lost the urge to be with their friends. With kids golf is too long, we can't play football or cricket any more and booze buses and family responsibilities mean we don't go to the pub much any more!  Some reading this might have been here but I would urge yo to consider carefully before you go the next step!

Returning to racing was what what tipped me over the edge! There's no greater fool than an old (washed-up, ex bike racing who still believes he can do it even if he wasn't much the first time round) fool!

One Masters 'try it once for free' race at the end of 2010 reeled me back in like a trout to a fly. Able to compete on no training, I instantly had delusions of grandeur!

No comments:

Post a Comment